Pages

Thursday, October 4, 2018

Amway/WWDB: Part 1: Introduction

In the previous post, I mentioned that I wrote an essay for my ex regarding why I thought his specific faction of Amway/WWDB was unethical.

(And according to a Google search, there are many other Amway WWDB factions that also operate in a similar manner: 
...just to list a few.)

Originally, I meant to write this essay as a way to "rescue" him. To unbrainwash him. I invested an immense amount of time and energy into the document. I truly wanted to convince him to quit his "business", and my available tools were the strength of my words supported with a solid foundation of background research. However, the more I wrote, the more I realized how different our fundamental life goals and values truly were, and made the decision to break up with him before the document was complete.
 
Below is my parting gift to him:
(Note: I have edited the more personal parts out, and all names are changed)

_____________________________________________


I know by the time you read this, our relationship would have already ended. I know you are full of questions to why I couldn’t continue. In my reflections, I realized that Amway is just the tip of the iceberg. It is just one of the many differences between us, and I truly feel we are too different to have a sustainable long-term relationship. I wish it could be something as simple as one main reason like “Amway”, which we can tackle and work on. But it’s many many little differences, wrapped up in a complex bundle, like a giant knotted ball of string where I don’t even know where to begin unraveling. And in unraveling that ball, I feel like I would be tearing apart what makes you, you.

I don’t want you to dwell on those micro-reasons for why our relationship ended. I want you to move forward from this experience to pursue your own happiness. You are a phenomenal guy, and I know you will have no trouble attracting wonderful people into your life.

I’m beyond grateful my life got to touch yours for an amazing, but painfully brief, chapter in our lives. I appreciate all the patience, love, understanding, time, thoughts, and dedication you had for me. I appreciate you very very much. The pain of losing you is unreal, and I can't begin to imagine how you are feeling. My heart hurts knowing all the pain I am causing you, but I know I have to let you go.

I know that Amway is no longer the key issue. However, perhaps you may be interested in reading the document I was preparing. I really tried to keep it open-minded, but the more I wrote, the more emotional I got, and the more it morphed into a steamroller document. I am aware, but I don’t know how to change it or soften it. I’m sorry. This document is judgemental and hurtful. However, this is truly how I feel, and I think the transparency will further highlight our differences.

To begin, I asked myself: What part of Amway do we see differently? What part do we see similarly?


Similarities:

● mentorship can have a lot of beneficial impacts and lead to lots of personal growth
● It is possible to make money


Differences:

In my eyes, the core difference between us on Amway is the perception of the societal value this business opportunity offers. I don’t want to use the word “ethics” anymore. I feel like “societal value” is more accurate and less judgemental. Something that is high value to someone may be low value to me, but that doesn’t mean it is wrong or unethical.

Why does Amway have low societal value in my eyes?

Let me give you an example. Remember our conversation on how I judge someone based on what they do? The first profession that came into my mind at that time was a drug dealer. I will not commit to a drug dealer.

Even if he is the sweetest, most thoughtful, and honorable guys I ever met.

Even if he is wealthy af.

Even if he donates 90% of that wealth to charity.

Even if he takes homeless kids off the street, instills a sense of ethics and personal growth into them, and gives them the opportunity to build themselves an asset through duplication so they can enjoy the wealth that he has.

While he is contributing a lot of societal value through charity and mentorship, to me, the net societal value is low due to the propagation of harm through selling drugs.

You may notice some of the parallels I’m trying to draw between drug dealing and Amway/WWDB. To me, Amway/WWDB is the same case. It’s just that instead of narcotics, the drug that is being sold is the Amway dream. The net societal value may not be as low as actual drug dealing, but it’s low enough to cause my alarm bells to go off.

(To clarify what I mean by the Amway dream: the dream is the belief that it is almost a certainty that the person will become mega wealthy and achieve time and financial freedom by listening to all the audios, attending all the meetings, doing all that their mentors tell them to do, and putting all their extra time and money into their “business”.)

Drugs propagate harm through causing addiction to a substance that has very detrimental effects on physical and mental health. Amway/WWDB propagates harm through addiction to a dream that has very detrimental effects on someone’s future.

Why do I feel like Amway/WWDB limits someone’s future?

(to be continued)

_______________________________________________


Thanks for reading! Stay tuned for Part 2, up next week.









1 comment:

  1. Yeah you go Granny O'Love!! This post hit me right in the feels. <3

    ReplyDelete